OFFICE OF THE CLERK
About the Office of the Clerk
The Office of the Clerk is one of the oldest government offices established by state law. Municipal Clerks must hold a Registered Municipal Clerk license issued by the State of New Jersey and attend continuing education courses throughout each year to maintain their license in good standing.
Do you have a question for the Borough Clerk? You may find the answer in the Borough Clerk FAQs.
Award of Contract Resolution:
Duties of the Office of the Clerk
Secretary to the Municipal Corporation
- Custodian of the municipal seal and of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts, and archival records of the municipal corporation.
- Attest to the signatures of municipal officials and officers.
- Maintain receipt of service of legal documents.
Secretary to the Governing Body
- Prepares meeting agendas at the discretion of the governing body.
- Is present at all meetings of the governing body.
- Records the minutes of every meeting.
- Retains original copies of all Ordinances and Resolutions.
- Administers and records Oaths of Office.
- Acts as liaison to the public and correspondent on behalf of the governing body.
Serves as Chief Administrative Officer of all Elections Held in the Municipality, Subject to Statutory Law Title 19
- Certify vacancies at a local level.
- Maintain receipt of nominating petitions and exercise quasi-judicial authority in determining the validity of petitions.
- Certify election of candidates for municipal office and maintain election results.
Serves as the Chief Registrar of Voters in the Municipality, Subject to Statutory Law Title 19
Voter Registration Applications and Voter Absentee Ballot Applications may be obtained from the Clerk’s Office.
Serves as an Administrative Officer Responsible for the Acceptance and Issuance of Licenses and Permits
The Office of the Clerk issues the following permits and licenses:
- Dog and Cat Licenses
- Raffle and Bingo Licenses
- Parking Permits
- Landlord Tenant Registrations
- Liquor Licenses and Social Affair Permits
- Solicitor’s Licenses
- Livery/Taxi Licenses
- Issues Assessment Search Certificates
Serves as a Coordinator and Records Manager
- Serves as the Custodian of Records and is responsible for the management and retention of Borough records.
- Implements local archives and records retention programs.