The Tax Collector is responsible to collect all property taxes. Upon receipt of the Borough’s tax assessments and certified tax rate, tax bills are calculated and mailed to property owners, authorized banks and mortgage companies. When property taxes are not paid on a timely basis, the Tax Collector is responsible for delinquent billing and schedules an annual Tax Sale to collect delinquent taxes. The Tax Collector strives to obtain a high collection rate to minimize a negative budgetary impact on the Borough’s financial expenses. The Tax Collector provides written reports to both the governing body and the State of New Jersey.
Property Tax Reimbursement (Senior Freeze)
PLEASE NOTE THE BOOKS ARE NOT AVAILABLE YET. If you are filing for the first time, you may need to request an application (blue book) at the municipal building. You will fill out the income information, and then bring the booklet to the tax collector window to have your paid taxes certified by the tax collector.
2018 Eligibility Requirements (You MUST meet ALL of the following requirements):
- You were 65 or older as of December 31, 2017, or, if under age 65, you were receiving Federal Social Security disability benefit payments on December 31, 2017, and also on December 31, 2018; AND
- You have lived in New Jersey continuously since December 31, 2007, or earlier, as either a homeowner or a renter; AND
- You have owned and lived in your home or have leased a site in a mobile home park for a manufactured or mobile home that you have owned since December 31, 2014, or earlier; AND
- You paid all 2017 property taxes by June 1, 2018, and all 2018 property taxes by June 1, 2019; AND
- Your total annual income for 2017 did not exceed $87,268* and for 2018 did not exceed $89,013. *NOTE: With very few exceptions, all income received during the year must be taken into account to determine eligibility (including social security, pension income, etc.)
* Eligibility rules, income limits, and benefits may be changed by the State Budget that will take effect on July 1, 2019.
Members of the public can refer to the following:
Senior Freeze (Property Tax Reimbursement)
- To ask questions or to order an application: 1-800-882-6597 (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday, except State holidays)
- To check the status of a filed application: 1-800-882-6597
- To listen to information: 1-800-323-4400
- In-person assistance at Taxation Regional Offices (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday, except State holidays): http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/organization/ts-regional.shtml
- Online information: www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ptr/index.shtml
Text Telephone Service (TTY/TDD) for Hearing-Impaired Users: 1-800-286-6613 or 609-984-7300
Taxation email address for Senior Freeze and general tax questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Property Tax Relief Information
There are two levels of property tax relief in New Jersey, programs administered at the Municipal level, and those that are administered at the State level.
The two programs administered at the Municipal Level are the Senior Citizens’ Deduction and the Veterans’ Deduction. Both give the homeowner a $250 credit on their taxes, beginning in the year that it is first approved.
The Veteran’s deduction continues without any annual verification necessary until the Veteran sells the home. If a veteran dies while the deduction is in effect, his or her spouse will receive the Widow of a Veteran unless they marry again.
To quality for the Senior deduction you must have been 65 or older or disabled at the end of the prior year and meet certain income requirements. The deduction is based on income, so each year a verification form is mailed out to all the seniors with the deduction, wherein the senior must certify that their income did not exceed the amount allowed in the prior year, and that they believe that it will not exceed the amount in the subsequent year. (Income other than Social Security and other Federal programs must not exceed $10,000.)
All other property tax relief programs are administered by the State of NJ: Homestead Rebate Property Tax Reimbursement or Senior Freeze
For other programs that may offer you some financial help or other aid, look at the website: NJHelps.org
If you ever have any questions on Property Tax, you can contact Borough Hall at 973-347-0159
Dana Mooney, Tax Collector Ext. 13 Email: email@example.com
Maria Mascuch, Utility Collector Ext. 12 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org